Name: Anthony Frasier
Company: The Phat Startup
What They Do: Inspiring entrepreneurs, media company and lifestyle brand
Originally From: Newark, NJ
Field of Study: N/A
Recommended Books: The Obstacle is the Way by Ryan Holiday
Listen in to the interview:
A Few Notes From the Show:
- Business Development and Partnership focus.
- It’s about finding the dopest content they can put on the site; the dopest entrepreneurs they can interview.
- skill he thinks should have is about building and maintaining strong relationships (and maintaining them).
- Dropped out of school because didn’t feel it was for him.
- Was working at Kmart stocking boxes overnight.
- Was building a gaming website during the day and working at night.
- Learned to build traffic to his gaming website
- He leveraged the work he did for his website to secure an internship with a local startup even though he didn’t have a degree.
- After 1 month he raised their traffic by 300%. They hired him as a full-time employee at that point.
- Used the time at the startup to learn everything he could about startups. That was his college.
- Eventually that startup failed but he took everything he had learned while there to pitch to one of the investors. He invested $100k on the spot in Anthony’s idea for a FourSquare App for video games.
- Applied to the NewMe accelerator and got accepted. That threw him in a world wind as now he was building his startup in Silicon Valley instead of New Jersey.
- In 1year went from being a stock boy at Kmart to being an entrepreneur in Silicon Valley; with no education, just using what he had to take him to the next place and being patient.
- Was on CNN Black in America: Silicon Valley (can see on itunes).
- Eventual his startup failed but he wasn’t discouraged. He started volunteering at NYC tech events which is where he met his co-Founder, James Lopez.
- Doesn’t think everyone should learn how to code, they should learn how to prototype.
- Basically need HTML, Java script and CSS to building a prototype.
- Learn how to prototype first and code second.
- suggest using things like TreeHouse.com, Programs like: axure, balsamiq(lets you create wireframes and connect them to each other).
- Advice is to sacrifice. Not saying you can’t have a life but it requires a life change.
Love the show? Subscribe and get updates, podcast updates and articles designed to empower young professionals, just like you sent directly to your inbox. SUBSCRIBE NOW
Ways to subscribe to the No More Reasonable Doubt podcast: