What They Do: Recording Artist, Radio Host, Entrepreneur
Originally From: Brooklyn, NY (Coney Island)
College: Kings Borough Community College
Field of Study: Business Administration
- Who Moved my Cheese by Spencer Johnson, M.D.
- The Long Tail by Chris Anderson
- The Big Payback by Dan Charnas
Listen in to the interview:
A Few Notes From the Show:
- The music business is a platform to get into other things.
- Decided to go the independent route with his music so he could keep the power in his hands.
- Sirius FM started as a co-host of a show and then moved on to being the host of his own show.
- Did co-op while in school. Went to school 1 week and then worked the next week. Stayed working at the bank as he worked on his music.
- Went to community college because it’s the thing you are supposed to do after college but always had a plan with his music.
- Studied business administration because he knew besides being a recording artist he would need to understand the business aspect of things.
- Once he got the information he felt he needed he kept it moving.
- With the way technology is you have to focus on what you want to do, not just the status quo.
- Easy to be trained to go to school 5 days a week and relax on weekend and then doing the same thing as an employee. You don’t have to follow the status quo.
- It doesn’t matter what you are doing there are certain things you are going to need to take with you. Practice giving it 100% or more. Don’t mail it in, don’t half ass it.
- Never be afraid to do more, to work harder to perfect your craft.
- A lot of the artist you love to listen to only told you one side of the story / business. Once you get in you learn about the shady side; you see the people who want to take advantage of you.
- Has a show coming out called “Hip Hop Today,” to talk about hip hop from perspective of folks who grew up with hip hop.
- Catch him on SiriusXM Channel 44: Hip Hop Nation on the weekdays from 5pm to 10pm
- What happens once an artist has signed the deal? In short that’s when the work begins.
- How does the process for collaboration work for a rapper or producer? In short, find someone you can work with and build from there.
Love the show? Subscribe and get updates, podcast updates and articles designed to empower young professionals, just like you sent directly to your inbox. SUBSCRIBE NOW
Ways to subscribe to the No More Reasonable Doubt podcast: