Name: Kofi Frimpong
Title: Co-Founder, Brand Slip
Company: Brand Slip
What They Do:
- Influencer marketing company. Work with digital social media stars on Vine, Instagram, YouTube, SnapChat to create content for brands. Oversees everything, working on product development.
Originally From: Oldbridge, NJ (central NJ)
College: Princeton University
Field of Study: Biology (pre-med)
- Animal Farm by George Orwell
- The Hard thing About Hard Things by Ben Horowitz
- Giant Steps by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Listen in to the interview:
A Few Notes From the Show:
- Spoke about how we met at the National Urban League Conference in Boston.
- Influencer marketing company. Work with digital social media stars on Vine, Instagram, YouTube, SnapChat.
- Talks about the art of the deal and how to close deals. A lot of practice and mentors have helped him.
- We talk about getting nervous.
- Study Bio (pre-med); senior year decided Medicine wasn’t for him.
- Always had a notebook of different business ideas.
- Did a pitch competition at Princeton and came in 2nd place. At that point decided to be an entrepreneur.
- We talk about how his degree in Biology degree helps him as an entrepreneur.
- Talked about having a reference point.
- You have to listen to his story about what happen after school.
- Listen to how he leveraged pitch competitions to raise $100k for his business.
- Talks about mistakes he made including business partners and leaving his first company.
- Decided to go and work for a start up. Hailo (Uber competitor).
- He learned so much about the startup world by working it.
- Learned that even if a company raises a lot of money things can still be all over the place.
- After a year worked for a number of other startups in NYC. Then he caught the bug again.
- Then started MealTics, crowdfunding meals for the homeless by using restaurants and delivering them to homeless shelters.
- Saw a bigger opportunity with Brand Slip. Building a community for influencers.
- When first moved to LA, didn’t have much money so slept out of his car.
- We talk about mindset and where he got his inspiration from to do this entrepreneurial thing.
- We talk about taking seed money and where did he learn about that? Listen as he talks about two Princeton classmates who dropped out to pursue their business ideas.
- Don’t compare yourself to others. Focus on what you are doing.
- Stay even keeled during the highs and the lows.
Love the show? Subscribe and get updates, podcast updates and articles designed to empower young professionals, just like you, sent directly to your inbox. SUBSCRIBE NOW
Ways to subscribe to the No More Reasonable Doubt podcast: