Name: Mecca Brown
Title: Senior Claims Operations Manager | Life and Career Coach
Company: Mecca M Brown dot com / United Health Group
What They Do: Coaches women in life and career as a side hustler. Full-time: health care operations, United Health Group. Senior Claims Operations Manager. Manages a team of 50 people.
Originally From: Born in Guam (parents were in military), moved to San Diego
College: UCSD: University of California San Diego and did not graduate
Field of Study: N/A
Listen in to the interview:
A Few Notes From the Show:
- Gave us a lyric from “Remember my name,” by Forte Miner, “This is 10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure, 50% pain and 100% reason to remember the name.”
- When you feel like giving up refer to Eminem song, Lose Yourself. Lyric: success is the only option, failure is not.
- Is a side hustler working as a life coach and a Senior Claims Operations Manager.
- Works with women of color and those who are from the wrong side of the tracks.
- Always the one to volunteer at work to gain more knowledge
- Decided to leave school. Was raising a family.
- worked at career services while at college.
- worked at a temp agency. Was successful because they knew she could learn something quickly and make things happen for their clients. Leveraged the temp agency to build her skills.
- Saw while working at career services grads struggle without having enough skills and depth to be in demand.
- Took opportunities and risk.
- Make sure you build a compelling story and keep telling that story so people come looking for you.
- Keeping track of what you do and what you learn.
- Has an excel spreadsheet where she keeps track of accomplishments and things that she’s done.
- Keeps track of all the versions of her resume.
- Keeping track allows you to be ready for interviews.
- “Be fearless and take chances”
- Time has taught her to trust herself.
- Important to know the faces of shame so you don’t internalize it.
- Important to have a strong sense of self.
- We talk about the books she would recommend.
- We talk about Daring Greatly by Brene Brown and the piece about men and being on a high horse.
Love the show? Subscribe and get updates, podcast updates and articles designed to empower young professionals, just like you, sent directly to your inbox. SUBSCRIBE NOW
Ways to subscribe to the No More Reasonable Doubt podcast: