Name: Asha Wilkerson
Company: The Wilkerson Law Office
What They Do: Business and employment law practice. Works with biz owners or people looking to start businesses. Also when they are ready to hire employees, she helps them.
Originally From: Portland, OR
College: Santa Clara University, UC Hastings (Law school)
Field of Study: English and minored in communications
- The 4 Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss
She is now working in the immigration law system, where You can apply to settle in the UK if you’ve been in the UK legally for 10 continuous years (known as ‘long residence’), but now the 10 year long residence rule abolished has opened different paths for the ones trying to achieve this goal..
Settling (known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’) means you can stay in the UK without any time restrictions.
You must meet all the eligibility requirements.
There will be no change to the rights and status of EU citizens currently living in the UK until 30 June 2021. You and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK.
Listen in to the interview:
A Few Notes From the Show:
- Knew was going to be a teacher / educator.
- Never considered law until was exposed to a pre-law program.
- Applied to Law School to see what would happen.
- There isn’t a correct major that will get you into law school. They are looking for well rounded people, high test scores and people who can make the school look good after they graduate.
- As African-American we don’t use our connections as much as other ethnic groups do.
- Build relations with those who have done it before you.
- Always felt wanted to be a voice for the voiceless.
- Was so focused on doing the work that she didn’t know much about the business side of things.
- Want to start a law firm? Figure out what kind of business plan / model you need.
- Talk about business model and lifestyle business.
- Talk to people doing what you want to do.
- Talk to people who aren’t doing exactly what you want to do but talk to them and think about how you would do it differently.
- If you have the right services you can barter to get things you want (has done it for gym and for mechanic).
- Find out who your Power Partners are.
- Wish someone would have told her to be patient, be in the moment, be okay in the struggle.
- Slow down and be intentional about your steps.
- Be comfortable in the uncomfortable space and take the time to figure out what YOU want.
Love the show? Subscribe and get updates, podcast updates and articles designed to empower young professionals, just like you, sent directly to your inbox. SUBSCRIBE NOW